At the heart of the Village....

Liphook Village Hall

History

kitchen

A History of Liphook Village Hall

In the late 1890s Canon W. W. Capes, the then rector of Bramshott raised money to purchase an area of land, including a stone built barn, at Headley Road in Liphook. The barn was for use as a village hall. In 1901 the Bramshott Parish Club was built on the adjoining land; it was paid for by public subscription. The whole was then registered as a charitable trust. Three independent trustees, one of whom was the rector, were appointed to ensure proper management.

At some time during 1936/37, to celebrate the coronation of His Majesty King George VI, a flat-roofed extension was built at the rear of the hall to provide a stage, In 1985 the Trust was updated by the Charity Commissioners, Bramshott and Liphook Parish Council were appointed as Custodian Trustees, with a body of management trustees made up of representatives of the hall users. Since then the hall has been completely refurbished with grants from various organisations including the Parish, District and County Councils.

A 'loop system was donated by the Meridian Trust for the benefit of people who are hard of hearing. Improved toilets, including facilities for physically disabled people, a new kitchen and comfortable new chairs were provided in 1997.

An extension, completed in 2004 added more facilities. The hall now has an impressive entrance foyer, rear access with a ramp for wheelchair users, new gentlemen's toilets and additional storage space. In 2013 the PA and loop system were replaced and more storage cupboards made available.

The hall is well used and is supported by organisations including the Over 60s Club, Women's Institute, U3A, Slimming World and is a venue for classes - including art and upholstery, jumble sales, private parties, wedding receptions and various fund-raising ventures.

Copyright 2011 - Liphook Village Hall

Registered Charity No. 211861

Bookmark Website

Home | Hire Charges | Contact | Links | History | What's On